While planning a service learning course requires faculty time and effort, we hope you find that your students' service learning compliments and helps bring your course material to life, leading to more engagement during class time.
Benefits of Service Learning for Faculty
- Service learning can help students learn more and be more engaged during class time.
- More than three-quarters of faculty who teach service learning classes report that it brings positive recognition from departments, colleges, and professional associations or networks.
- Service learning is a form of community engagement which can enhance a faculty member's CV. Service learning can also be considered in promotion and tenure decisions.
- 80% of faculty who have taught a service learning course say the experience gave them new teaching ideas.
- Service learning can generate ideas and partnerships for community-based research and scholarly projects.